4.28.2006

Sharpie "Masterpieces"

Posted by Tammy

This is a fun challenge - and it has been challenging, to say the least! My Sharpie group is doing an ATC swap where we re-interpret famous artistic masterpieces using Sharpies. Well, let me tell you, there is a reason these are called masterpieces! I've done three so far, and hope to do several more, but they have taken more time than any other cards I've done!


The first one I did was the Picasso Peace dove. I thought it would be simpler because it is mainly a line drawing. I changed the colors, but kept it basically the same otherwise. It was tough to get the correct shapes! I really do like how it turned out in the end though. Mine is on the right, Picasso's is on the left!


The next one I took on was my very favorite painting - Starry Night by Van Gogh. I saw this painting in New York for the first time last year - and cried when I saw it. It is truly amazing. This one was very difficult. I did it in stages. I didn't mess with the colors on this one. There is way more yellow in mine, but it's tough to do white with Sharpies. Overall, I'm pleased with how it turned out! I almost wish I could keep this one instead of swapping it, but I know I'll get something equally fun back from another talented Sharpie artist! Mine is on the right, Van Gogh's original is on the left (obviously!)


The last one I've done (so far) is an abstract by Paul Klee called Park Near Lucerne. I love all of his stuff. I've seen numerous paintings, and I like his style. I chose this one because I thought it might be easy to emulate. It wasn't. I had a difficult time with the spacing, so my interpretation isn't perfect, but you can definitely get the idea! I think I am going to try another of his over the weekend. I like the abstracts!! Klee's original is on the left, my reinterpretation is on the right.

4 Opinions:

Ruth said...

Starry Starry Night...is my favorite Van Gogh..I have yet to have the courage to do my own version however....so afraid I would burst my own bubble. I love your interpretation.

ruth

Tammy said...

It's my favorite too - I was worried, but I really like how it turned out! Glad you like it!

Seeing it in person was the most amazing thing - I've been back once since the first time - and it was still so powerful!

Tammy

Anonymous said...

WOW i love your Starry night. I did that one also. It's my favorite...i only did two ...i hate my drawing, maybe scout mistress will exchange our two....eh?
Great work!
Alter my world

Tammy said...

That would be a great swap!! One interpretation for another!! I can't wait to see what you've done! I've only done 5 so far, but I'm really hoping to get another couple done before I HAVE to mail them off!! Thanks for checking out my blog!

Tammy