8.24.2006

Booking Through Thursday

Posted by Tammy

So, I just discovered another Meme site that I liked! It is called Booking Through Thursday. Each Thursday, they post a set of questions related to books and reading. I'm going to give it a shot here today!

Booking Through Thursday

  1. Have you ever wanted to travel to a place described in a book?

    Absolutely! All the time in fact. The places I dream of travelling have almost all come because of my reading. My current #1 place I wish to go is Italy. This is mainly because of reading Frances Mayes' incredible books Under the Tuscan Sun and Bella Tuscany. Her words make the place alive in my mind. The food, the culture, the art and history, and the people - all make me want to be there, to immerse myself in that culture.

    I can remember when I was small - wishing I could travel to the places I read about. Anne of Green Gables' Nova Scotia, the amazing avenues of trees, the coasts, the green fields as described. Even the land of Oz - I knew it was imaginary (or is it?) but I wished to go there too! Reading has made me a dreamer! (I dreamed of a place like the Secret Garden!)
  2. Have you ever ACTUALLY travelled to a place because of the way it was described in a book?

    I don't think I have ever actually gone somewhere because of a book. I will though. Someday! I hope sooner rather than later. I think I'll go start planning that trip to Italy now! Or maybe the Ireland I read of in Nora Robert's Irish trilogy (yes, I read the silly romance books now and then too!)
  3. And if so, did it live up to the expectations, feelings, emotions you expected from the book? Did you feel like Anne was going to come romping around the corner of Green Gables? Was it as if Jo was upstairs at Orchard House, scribbling on a story? Or was it just a museum, or just a city street? Like Abbey Road without the Beatles?

    I know that no matter where I travel, be it from something I read or not, it will live up to my expectations. I love travelling (even though I'm not a very good traveller!) and the places I see are always wonderful. Full of exciting things to see and do. I can imagine that Anne would just feel a part of the places in Nova Scotia. Or that I would expect to see one of the Little Women in the house across the street! And the Emerald City - now, who wouldn't want to travel there. Perhaps only in my dreams.

btt3

0 Opinions: