I am guest-hosting Create a Connection's Getting to Know You day this month. I asked questions from the book "The Conversation Piece" this week. Here are MY responses!

1. question #255 - If you had to change your first name, what would you choose as your new name?

I have actually considered this before. I am not a big fan of my first name. (Tammy - not abbreviated from anything - I'm named after Tammy Wynette. My middle name is Dale after Dale Evans. I DO like the combination of my first and last names though. Tammy Mimms - check out all those M's!!)

One day at work several years ago, we got to talking about this and everyone was thinking up names for me. None of them fit. Why is that? Even though I don't really like Tammy, nothing else seems to fit.

But, if I HAD to choose, I would go with one of the suggestions from a co-worker. It was Phaedra. It is originated from Greek mythology and means bright.

2. question #158 - What is your favorite saying, quote, or expression?

One of my very favorites is from Pablo Picasso.

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of every day life."

And he's right!!

3. question #49 - If you could buy any rare collection in the world, which would you choose? Why?

I am a collector! I love stuff and have entirely too much of it. But, I would definitely have to go with art. I would want a collection of paintings from my favorite painters. Picasso, Van Gogh, Renoir, Modigliani, Chagall, and so many more. I would HAVE to own the Starry Night that currently hangs in the MoMA in NYC.

4. question #1 - If you could fly in a hot-air balloon over any city in the world, what city would you choose? Why that city? Have you visited there before?

I would choose to fly over an area rather than a city. Tuscany, Italy - for sure!! I have never been there, but hope to! The photos I see just look amazing - with the vineyards all spread out. It seems as if it would be amazing to see from the air (as well as ground!) I read Under the Tuscan Sun and Bella Tuscany (more than once!) and am enamored with the are Frances Mayes describes! I definitely want to see it for myself!

5. question #221 - What is an item you own that has a minimal monetary value but has such sentimental value that you would not sell it for $5,000?

I have several that popped into mind for this one.

First - I have three quilts that I wouldn't part with. Two that my mom has made for me, and one made by her mother, my granny. The first quilt my mom made was for my 13th birthday. I used it every day and completely wore it out! It is so well-loved that I have put it away for fear of it falling apart. She made me another in about 2001. It is on our guest bed now! The one my granny made was given to me on the day of her funeral by my uncle Charles. He knew I wanted a quilt, and thought to give me one! I'm glad I have it! (Photo on the left - The flower garden is the one my mom made for me in 2001 - it is reversible. The star pattern is the one my granny made.




Next would be several different things made by my dad. He used to do a lot of woodworking. I have a chair he made that I love. It isn't a comfortable chair, but it's cool! (picture on the right) The seat raises to have a little storage area. He has also made a lot of other smaller stuff to - like frames, wood turned vases, baskets, etc. I wouldn't get rid of any of them!

The final thing that I thought of (Of course!!) is my piano. I don't know if it has a monetary value - it might. But, I would NEVER sell it! My Uncle Stanley and Aunt Charlene gave it to me when I was about 12. I took lessons on it. I LOVE it! I think of Aunt Charlene every time I look at it - every day! I miss her a lot, and I know Uncle Stanley does. It means the world to me that I have this piano!

OK - there are my long-winded answers! I can't wait to read some of yours!! Hop on over to Create a Connection and play along! Be sure to leave a comment there so we can all read your answers!

8 Opinions:

Janet said...

Love the quote! So very true :-)

Tanaya said...

great questions this week!

photoholly said...

Great challenge, thanks Tammy (or should I call you Phaedra??) I posted my answers to your challenge too.

Jana B said...

No other name really seems to fit me, either. I think it has just adapted to me. lol

Anonymous said...

I love Frances Mayes books too and also chose Italy's countryside for my balloon ride.

Our taste in art is equal too!

Unknown said...

The chair your father made you is priceless. You're so fortunate to have it. Wonderful questions, I so enjoyed answering them.

an9ie said...

I have answer envy now! Re: the rare collection question, I just smacked my hand into my head and went "Duh!"

While I wouldn't get any sleep if I had a priceless collection of art hanging around, I must admit that I would love a small Renoir :)

Tammy Brierly said...

I've never felt like Tammy fit me either. Can you envision a 70yr old Tammy. LOL Those quilts are so priceless!