6.13.2007

Getting to Know You - My Bloggy World

Posted by Tammy

It is Wednesday and that means Getting to Know You day over at Create a Connection. The guest-host this month is Charlotte at casa de Charlotte della luna. She is asking us this week about our Blogs. Here are my answers!

When did you begin your first blog and what inspired you to do so?

I'm not sure what inspired me other than being obsessed with reading other blogs! I started on January 18, 2006 with this post. I had a photo that I took at the John Lennon memorial in Central Park - Imagine. I was imagining the places I could go with my blog... and once I got going, I was right!! I've met SO many wonderful, creative bloggers, and learned so much. I've even gotten to know myself much better by expressing myself on my blog! Initially, I called my blog "Art, Creative Thoughts, Etc." but I quickly changed it to "Mimmsical Creations". It fit me better - being a play on words - whimsical married with my last name, Mimms. I think it's clever and I like it! :)


I also love having a place to share my art, and my photos now! I can't wait to post new stuff when I have it - and share it with you all!


Do you have more than one blog? Why? How are they different?

I only have one blog. I just write everything here - share my art, photos, thoughts. I answer memes, participate with Create a Connection - it all goes here! I haven't ever really considered having another one. I don't have a specific topic in mind that I would create a second blog to house.

How would you characterize your blog? Creative, Political, Informational, Community-oriented, Or something else?

I guess I'd call my blog eccentric first. I write my blog just like I would speak to you. I think I'd call it creative second. I share my art and photos. It is very rarely political - but I do throw in an opinion now and then. I guess it can be informational, but mainly it's for me. I love having a forum where I can be me, share what I want to, etc.!


To paraphrase Oprah, what is "one thing you know for sure" about blogging?

I think the one thing I know for sure about blogging is that it can take over your life if you let it. I have scaled back from what I was doing with blogging even a few months ago and found a more do-able pace. I don't post every day, and I typically only post when I have something to share. (or a set of questions to answer!) I love having the different day themes from Create a Connection to participate with, but I pick and choose which to do now.

Is it important to you to get feedback in terms of comments or pings? Why or why not?

I love getting comments - it feels like a conversation with friends. I am not to worried about numbers, visitor counts, etc. I do look at my stats now and then because I like seeing where people are coming from and how they found my blog.

Comments are very fun, and very often good for my self-confidence! Hearing a kind word from someone out there does wonders for me! And many times, the input I receive from you all out there is so valuable!!

I've particularly learned a lot about myself with the Self Portrait Challenge. It has been tough to share a photo of myself each week, but I have stuck with it (missing only a week or two since January!) The comments I receive from other bloggers about my photos are GREAT! (So thank you if you've left comments!)

What 3 blogs would you recommend to our readers and why?

I have a huge lists of blogs I love and read regularly, of course! But to narrow it down...

Woman's Day - Dinner Diary by Kim Walker - Kim is a friend of mine from high school, and she writes a daily food blog for Woman's Day magazine. I love it! She tells about what she fixed for her family's dinner with suggestions and recipes! It's fun!

Self Portrait Challenge - It is so great to look at everyone's efforts for the challenges of taking a self portrait. I have been inspired by so many participants there. Take a look (and join in!)

Crazy Aunt Purl - Because she makes me laugh! What a fun blog! And such cute cats too! :)

7 Opinions:

All Things Jennifer said...

Oooh. Cool blog picks! I'll be back for more soon!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reminding me about Crazy Aunt Purl....I used to read her a couple of years ago...don't know why she dropped off my radar!

Thanks for participating!

Janet said...

I'm happy that you decided to create a blog, and to share your thoughts about blogging with this fun meme. I love the name of your blog!

Crazy Aunt Purl is one of my favorites too! She cracks me up! I'm off to check out your other recommendations.

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of the Self Portrait Challenge before - thanks for telling me about it. And now I'm off to go check out your art!

BellaKarma said...

I love the name "Mimmsical Creations" - you know how I love a play on words! ;)

Tammy said...

Thanks guys! So what do I do with my blog name if I ever marry Mike and take his name?! Can I keep Mimmsical even though my name would be Durham?! :)

Tammy Brierly said...

Charolette did a wonderful job and I think I'll play to keep my mind busy.

We are alot alike because I'm always nodding my head to your answers. Love how you chose your lyrical blog name.

HUGS