11.12.2008

Gnocchi Soup

Posted by Tammy

We have decided not to continue the Fabulous Foodies blog. So... instead of posting my food thoughts there, I'll post them here!


When the weather turns cooler - I get more in the mood to cook! Mike and I heard an ad on TV mentioning a gnocchi soup. I decided that I needed to try and make my own version at home!

I found a recipe online, but I didn't like the total package. I took just the basic skeleton idea and then I ran with it and changed it up to make it my own!

Here is what I did:

Tammy's Gnocchi Sausage Soup
Ingredients:

16 oz. gnocchi (I just used the brand I could find in my regular store. I prefer the kind I can get in our local kitchen store.)
1 lb. hot Italian sausage
8 oz. sliced mushrooms
1 cup (or so) sliced carrots
1 cup-ish frozen peas
1/2 onion, diced
minced garlic - as much as you like
basil, rosemary, thyme, oregano (I used dried in this case - it would, of course, be better with fresh herbs!)
black pepper
4-6 cups Vegetable stock (I used better than boullion to create my stock.)
grated parmesan cheese

Start by cooking your sausage until it is brown. Add in the mushrooms and onions about mid-way through cooking.

While this is cooking - start heating your stock and carrots. Once this is boiling, add in the meat and mushrooms - add any water you may need to have a nice pot-full (leaving enough room to add the peas and pasta later!) Let this cook for about 30 minutes. Add your herbs at any point you like.


Once your carrots have softened, add your peas. This will cool your soup down, so bring it back to a boil. Once it boils again, add the gnocchi. This takes only about 5-6 minutes to cook, so don't add the pasta until you're almost ready to eat!

Once your pasta is cooked - serve this up with a bit of grated cheese on top! Fantastic, if I do say so myself!!

4 Opinions:

Anonymous said...

That does look yummy! Any time I can use sausage in a soup I do so. However, gnocchi is out of the question for me, since I can't have anything made from wheat :(
Perhaps I can substitute potato chunks instead.

Tammy said...

It would be great even without the gnocchi. You could even substitute a rice pasta or other wheat-free option! :)

Suzie Ridler said...

Wonderful Tammy! I am so glad you're going to continue posting food posts, yay! It sounds wonderful. I do like gnocchi and have never had it in a soup before. Way to go making it your own way.

Janet said...

Yum! That looks so good! Thanks for sharing the recipe.