12.04.2008

Bread!

Posted by Tammy

Suzie reminded me - I forgot to mention the bread I made on Thanksgiving day!! I finally tried out the breadmaker!


I started this out mid-morning because it takes three hours from start to finish in the machine for this particular loaf of bread. By the time it started baking, we were getting hungry, so the smells coming from the machine were quite tempting!! YUM!

I have made bread a few times before, but never in a breadmaker. I had my mom's "bread bucket" and used it a few times. (I actually just passed it back to my sister Rhonda. Hopefully she'll put it to better use than I did!) I decided to try what looked like a simple recipe for my first go.


1 cup water
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
2 1/2 cups bread flour
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast

Place in the breadmaker according to your machine's directions and bake as directed! Easy as that!



I was pleased with my first attempt! It tasted really yummy! The only problem with it was that it was quite crumbly and a bit dry. I think I realized - I used all purpose flour instead of bread flour. I'm hoping that will make the difference for next time. I wasn't really paying attention! I'll try again! Next time, I'm going to make the dough in the machine and bake rolls in the oven - Suzie's thyme roll recipe has been tempting me for some time now!

It is snowing like crazy here today. I'm wishing I was home making soup and baking cookies - maybe tonight! :) Stay warm!

4 Opinions:

Jana B said...

Mmmmm..... that makes me want a breadmaker!!!!!!!

Warm fresh-baked bread sounds wonderful on a winter day!

Suzie Ridler said...

It's beautiful! I'm so glad that you used your breadmaker and created this fantastic loaf. Yes, using bread flour will make a difference next time. I used bread flour for my cookies as I said at CSS and that was a disaster.

Way to go Tammy! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe and the pic with us!

photoholly said...

I've only ever used all-purpose flour. You might want to sift it first to get a bit more air in it, some breads are just a bit "drier" than others, think cornbread. I've got a spectacular spinach bread recipe I've used for years!

Anonymous said...

I am determined to do some experimenting with bread this winter. I keep buying yeast. I made a dense whole-wheat loaf a few weeks ago that was really good with dinner warm out of the oven.

My mom bought me a baking stone so I can make bread in the oven.

You're inspiring me to give it another go.