11.28.2006

Books of 2006

Posted by Tammy

I signed up at the beginning of this year to do a challenge - Read 50 books by the end of 2006. I didn't think this would be a problem for me because I love to read and always have at least 2 books going!

I've met and exceeded my goal! Looking at the list of books I've read this year was interesting (I'm not done reading for the year by any means! I'm sure I'll have at least a few more titles to add!) I got stuck on several authors and read numerous titles by them.

I thought it might be fun to share my list here with you all! Some of these books are favorites that I've read more than once - others are new authors/titles!


1. Lord John and the Private Matter by Diana Gabaldon

2. Heart of the Sea by Nora Roberts

3. Declassified (Alias TV Series) by Mark Cotta Vox

4. S is for Silence by Sue Grafton

5. Wilderness Venture by Elizabeth Howard (this is an older title - not readily available unless you can find it used. I bought my copy on Ebay!)

6. Mama's Bank Account by Kathryn Forbes

7. Red Lily by Nora Roberts

8. The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown

9. Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares

10. On Green Dolphin Street by Sebastian Faulks (I love this author! One of my favorite books is Charlotte Grey by him. There is also a movie - Charlotte Grey - starring Cate Blanchett, that is fantastic!)

11.
The Wind Singer by William Nicholson

12.
Fortune's Daughter by Alice Hoffman

13.
The Camino by Shirley MacLaine

14.
Dancing Naked at the Edge of Dawn by Kris Radish (This book really inspired me the first time I read it more than a year ago. It is the story of a woman's journey of self-discovery. I made the painting at the right to remind myself!)

15.
Blue Dahlia by Nora Roberts

16. Cabin on the Silver Tongue by... (This is a really old title. I have an old, battered library copy that my mom read to me many times when I was a kid. I still love the story!)

17.
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling

18.
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by JK Rowling

19.
Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

20.
The Changeling by Kate Horsely

21.
Floor Sample by Julia Cameron

22.
Under the Tuscan Sun by Frances Mayes (I did see the movie based on this book - but the book FAR outweighs the Hollywood version in this case! And the recipes... yum!)

23.
Alias: Recruited by Lynn Mason (I am an Alias addict - since the end of the show, I had to do something to keep getting my fix. These novels are for young adults - pretty cheesy, but fun!)

24.
Alias: A Secret Life by Laura Roberts

25.
Alias: Disappeared by Lynn Mason

26.
Alias: The Pursuit by Elizabeth Skurnick

28.
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by JK Rowling

29.
My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

30.
Laura: The Life of Laura Ingalls Wilder by Donald Zochert (When I was a kid, the Laura Ingalls stories were some of my favorites. I read, and re-read her books many times!)

31.
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by JK Rowling

32.
Jewels of the Sun by Nora Roberts

33.
Tears of the Moon by Nora Roberts

34.
Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult

35.
Picture Perfect by Jodi Picoult

36.
Harvesting the Heart by Jodi Picoult

37.
Dance of the Dissident Daughter by Sue Monk Kidd (This is a life-changer! Her novels are also fantastic!)

38.
True Balance by Sonia Choquette (Still working on this one!)

39.
The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell (This is one of Mike's favorite books - he recommended I read it. It was difficult in spots, but oh, so wonderful! Her storytelling is superb. And she gives you so much to think about. The characters were delightful too!)

40.
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by JK Rowling

41.
Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult (Of all of the books I read this year by Jodi Picoult, this was my favorite!)

42.
The Witch of Blackbird Pond by E.G. Speare (A perennial favorite!)

43.
A Break with Charity (A Story about the Salem Witch Trials) by Ann Rinaldi

44.
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by JK Rowling (And now we wait for book 7)

45.
The Pact by Jodi Picoult

46.
The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards

47.
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

48.
Marion Zimmer Bradley's Ancestors of Avalon by Diana Paxson

49.
Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

50.
The Daring Female's Guide to Ecstatic Living by Natasha Kogan (I need to keep this book with me all the time to remind myself of the things the author puts forth! Very fun and also very useful!)

51. Voyager by Diana Gabaldon

52.
Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon

Next on the list... 53. The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon (I LOVE this series - I've read all of them but this one before. The characters are great - and don't let the size of the novels {1000 pages or more} put you off!)

10 Opinions:

Deb R said...

Good list! You have several on there that I've read and several more that are in my current ridiculously huge TBR batch of books.

Last year toward the end of December I went through my list of books read (I always keep track) and posted a list of my favorites for the year and I think I'll do that again this year, so stay tuned in a month or so, if you're interested. :-)

Tammy said...

I usually have a huge pile of TBR books too, but right now, I'm only working on one at a time amazingly enough!

I've never kept track before of what I've read for the year! It was fun to do so! I'll look forward to seeing your list Deb! :)

Unknown said...

Hi Tammy,

Thanks for the note on my "glasses" post. The end of the story is this: I ended up STEPPING on my glasses when I went outside. So I'm like a mole today, wearing very outdated prescriptions.

I like the new ID photo!

Also, what a great list. I've read a few of them. I loved "The Memory Keeper's Daughter."

Suzie Ridler said...

Did you like Ancestors of Avalon? I haven't read that one, big fan of mist though. I didn't realize Alias had books! I loved that show. My dream as a young girl was to be a spy so that show was a perfect fit.

You did amazingly well, that's a lot of books! I have a hard time finding novels I like. Alice Hoffman is my favourite author but I've read everything she's written and now everything else just pales.

Tammy said...

Caroline - the ID photo is cropped from my friend and I dressed up as "bad girls" of the old west! I thought it time for a fun change! :) I also loved the Memory Keeper's Daughter. I picked it up randomly and it was a great read!

Thanks Melba! I've kept with some good goals this year! I need to be better at setting more goals as I have done well at keeping the ones I did!

Suzie - I have had a hard time with the other Avalon books. I read Mists first about 5 years ago, and it really changed the way I think about things! I have tried several of her others, including this Ancestors. None of them have lived up to Mists. It's worth a read, but just not as good in my opinion!

And Alias! Yes, it is my favorite show - I always thought I should be a spy when I was a kid too! :) Sydney Bristow was such a great, powerful, female character. I miss it already! I just got season 5 on DVD! The books are pretty twinky though. I love what I've read of Alice Hoffman's. I'll have to read more! Practical Magic is a perpetual favorite! :)

Suzie Ridler said...

I read an Avalon book (can't remember title) and I enjoyed but agree, nothing really compares. Mist changed my life forever too! It's nice to meet another girl-spy dreamer. That is so cool. I miss Alias very much already. And another Alice Hoffman fan! My goodness Tammy, we have so much in common.

Tammy said...

It is so cool to meet other bloggers that you have so much in common with!!! :)

Shannon said...

Wow, what a great list Tammy! What an achievement too I like to read but have found it hard to find the time.

You've totally inspired me! I think I might start keeping track of what I read, maybe in 2007, would be really too look at retrospectively.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy, I love how you are able to use art as a positive tool for in dealing with the stresses of everyday life. Thanks for the inspiration and support!

Dana Durrance

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.