3.31.2007

Altered Art to Share!!

Posted by Tammy

I can finally share!! I worked on a project over the last couple weeks - making a surprise for my sister Vicki. I was able to keep it a secret from her (yay!) and she just got it in the mail today, so now I can share!!


She sent me the blank paper bag books and really wanted me to try altering one of them. I had never done this or heard of it, and wasn't real keen on the idea. But I decided to do one and make it for her!! I started out by finding the coolest "sister" paper in the scrapbook store and it just went from there. Each page is a little mini collage. I used fibers, ribbon, stickers, photos, rub-ons, brads, etc. It was a lot of fun! The book is quite large - it is actually 7 paper bags that have been sewn together in the middle to form a little book - quite ingenious! (wish I'd thought of it first!)
This is going to be a long post because I want to post all of the pictures! Vicki was SOOO excited when she got the package today. She wasn't expecting the surprise to be this book at all. She never thought I'd really try it, let alone make it for her! Yay! :) Enjoy the pictures! (You can see them larger over at Flickr.)
Above - this is a tiny file folder that is tucked into one of the pages. (The open bag ends leave spaces where you can tuck in things like tags - or these cute little folders!) Below - the photos on this page are actually my sister, my niece, and I. I spent the summer of 1992 living with Vicki in California - it was a very fun summer!!

7 Opinions:

Janet said...

What a fantastic gift for your sister! I love all the pages you did....they're all so pretty, and I'm sure she loves it. I especially like the quote "Creativity takes courage"... I think you're a very courageous gal!!

PennyBlue said...

WOW!! This is absolutely terriffic!! Great job!

Anonymous said...

Eeeeeeeeee!!! There it is...my book, yep, mine...I LOVE IT, I can't quit looking, and each time I do, I see something new. It makes me smile and I am sooooo proud of you Tam for doing it...I was so shocked. I NEVER thought you would ever try...fun huh??? I guess I will be the only one to recieve one because, while she enjoyed it some, she reports that it will probably be her last. I am GLAD I got one. Good job Sis...I love you...all your gifts make me smile, but this one takes the cake...Thank you so much...I Love You!!
V

Jamie said...

Wow! Congratulations on stretching into a new artform, Tammy! It's full of beauty and love. What a fabulous gift.

Vedrana M. said...

it's beautiful, wonderful gift :)

Suzie Ridler said...

Tammy, it's absolutely amazing! You worked so hard and it's stunning. I love how sister-inspired it is.

Anonymous said...

It turned out sooooooo cute!!!!! What a great gift - I love it. LUFF IT??

Wait - you recognized the string cheese incident. It's been driving me crazy - where is that from???

I guess I could google. I'm lazy.

Back to the book - I love it. I love that you found that sister paper.