3.26.2007

Possibilities

Posted by Tammy

Well, the possibility exists that Mike and I will be making a big move in the not-so-distant future... Yikes!

We've been talking about moving somewhere for quite a while now, but this location was definitely NOT on our list. Mike has a tentative job offer in Raleigh, North Carolina. Now, we've talked a LOT about Oregon and Washington - anywhere within driving distance of the Pacific was going to work for us. We even thought about the possibility of Fort Worth or Austin after our recent visit... But Raleigh??!?!?

Mike has travelled there a number of times for work, knows the people he would be working with, etc. Neither of us is very sure about the town though. It's a big place and it's hot/humid in the summer, something I'm definitely not used to, and not a fan of!! On the plus side, it is only a short drive from an ocean, something we both want!


Now, this isn't a done deal by any means... but we're thinking about it. There are SO many things that are running through my head that I'm having a hard time making sense of it. So many things that I never really thought about in considering a move. I grew up in Colorado, I've never lived anywhere else, so I just don't know what changing states entails.

For one thing, I am worried about my health insurance. I don't have a job in North Carolina. There is a possibility that I will continue to do part of my current job from a distance, but they wouldn't be able to offer health insurance... And Mike and I aren't married, so his work won't offer it to me at this point. Yikes! What to do?

Then there is just the logistics of moving across the country... How do you prepare for this?!? Help! I have moved only about 5 times in my life. The most recent move to my house with Mike was the biggest! We will have moving expenses paid by his job, so that is a huge plus, but ... Wow! How do you plan this??

Do any of you have input, advice, sage words for me as we try to decide this?!? I'd love it if you do! Mike is much more calm about this than I am. I was doing pretty good over the weekend, but today, it has hit me like a ton of bricks and I'm having a hard time!!

I'll keep you posted!!

6 Opinions:

Tanaya said...

Tammy,
Everything happens for a reason, right? Who knows...there just might be a reason that NC is calling you.

I do have a few suggestions. First & foremost, have Mike ask his employer if they offer medical insurance to significant others. This is becoming Very commonplace, but vaires on a state-by-state basis.

Second, if they are offering relocation expenses, they will likely have a relationship with a cross-country mover. Ask them for suggestions, they WILL provide them for you. And, always get insurance when using cross coutnry movers.

Third, ENJOY the process. This is an adventure and will likely bring you and Mike even closer together. How exciting for you to btoh experience something new, together.

Kellie said...

So coming from someone who has lived in 3 states maybe I don't know a lot but I know something. First of all this is great, it is for sure happening for a reason. I bet you will love the change of pace. Maybe it is not exactly where you would have chosen to move but who knows what will come after this next adventure. Go for it!

If your moving expenses are paid that is wonderful!

It truely won't be a big deal to get things rolling once it's a sure thing. I have plenty of advice for you. Ask me anything.

Don't be overwhelmed! You guys will do great, what a neat opportunity. I have always wanted to visit NC!

Suzie Ridler said...

I'm wondering if Yemaya is working her magic to get you to the coast? A lot faster than I expected!

I travelled to the other side of the Canadian landscape and I can tell you, the best thing you can do is lighten your load! Donate as much as you can to free yourself of the past and start fresh. This isn't to say get rid of everything, just the stuff that isn't working for you any more.

Enjoy the journey! Take tons of photographs, stop at detours and have fun. It's an amazing journey, I loved it and wished we hadn't been in such a hurry when we did it. Give yourself time. Also, say good-bye to your home. Closure is so important.

hollibobolli said...

I'm right there with you. I've moved all over the place a zillion times - but like, within the state of Oklahoma and Texas... not across the entire United States!!

Is there a chance you'll move to Washington - D.C.?

I do think you have to go with the "everything happens for a reason" thing.. that's my story - I'm sticking to it.

big hugs!!!

Tammy said...

Thanks guys!! All the input helps! I still have no idea if this is going to happen, but I'm feeling better today!! The ocean may indeed be calling (even if it is the other is the other side of the continent from what I thought!)

Holli - no chance for DC at this point, however, Raleigh is only a four hour drive from there - and I for sure want to visit!!! :) We'll have to plan a meet up if we wind up that close!

Jeanne Rhea said...

I live in Raleigh and just ran across your blog. Raleigh is a great place to live. We also have a great mixed media art guild and some great shops. Let me know if you make it here. You can email me at jrhea@nc.rr.com if you wish. Best.