I am guest-hosting Getting to Know You Wednesdays at Create a Connection during April! Here are my answers to my first set of questions! It's all about the movies this week! Go over to CaC and play along too!


Name your all-time favorite movie! (Or if you're like me, narrow it down to your top five... or ten... !)


1. Singin' in the Rain - my favorite forever! I LOVE Gene Kelly!

2. What's Eating Gilbert Grape? - remains my favorite Johnny Depp movie!

3.
Return to Me - very off-beat, romantic comedy - and oh-so-touching! I love it!

4. The Princess Bride - classic!

5. Holiday Inn... or White Christmas... or It's a Wonderful Life... or High Society... (OK - anything with Bing Crosby, Jimmy Stewart, Gene Kelly... the list goes on and on...)

What genre of movie do you like best?

I tend to like drama the best. I don't like slapstick comedy most of the time. Although - in just the right mood even a movie like
Wild Hogs can hit me right! (I saw it last week... definitely not high on my list of movies to see, but it worked! I needed to laugh and I did! John Travolta still has it!)

I would also say that romantic comedy works well for me too. I get sucked into those movies!

What movie made you cry the most?

This has to be Life is Beautiful. Hands down. I saw it in the theatre by myself. This movie was just amazing - the story was so powerful, and yet the movie so funny. The combination of the funny with the horrifyingly sad just overpowered me. I cried in my car all the way home!

Have you ever applauded during a movie in the theatre? Which one? If not, what would make you do that?

I have applauded... several times. Most recently, it was during Dreamgirls. Boy, did I love this movie!! I was blown away by Jennifer Hudson (as was everyone else apparently!) I had watched her on American Idol and thought she would go far. I'd say an Oscar for her first role isn't bad! Her scene with the song "You're gonna love me" absolutely blew me out of the water! I just had to clap - along with many others in the theatre!

Do you own any soundtracks from movies? Which is your favorite and why did the music inspire you?

I own a lot of soundtracks! I tend to really like the mix of music you get in many movies. I love the one from the movie Duets a lot. I like Hope Floats, Return to Me (lots of Dean Martin!), and recently, Dreamgirls. One of my lasting favorites has been from the movie Singles. Great stuff!


Is there a particular actor or actress who inspires you? Why do you like him or her?

I don't know that there are any that inspire me. (not current anyway - Gene Kelly, Bing Crosby - they might inspire me...) There are lots that I like and respect their acting though. Right now, as I write this at 4 a.m. (insomnia strikes) I can't think of any... I will amend to add names!

Is there a particular actor or actress who you just dislike and will not see their movies? Why?

I can't say there is anyone that I dislike enough that I wouldn't see a movie. I'm not a big fan of Michael Douglas. I don't have a lot of respect for many actors - Eddie Murphy was one until Dreamgirls. He does so many really horrible movies... but he was great in Dreamgirls. I don't care for the type of movies that Will Ferrell makes, but he is funny in short bits.

Have you ever dreamed of being an actor? Which role would be your dream role?

I wanted to be an actor for a long time. Often, it wasn't movies that I wanted to act in though - it was theatre. There are several theatre roles that have been made into movies that would be my dream roles. One is Matron Mama Morton in Chicago. I love that role, and I LOVED Queen Latifah playing it. She was great! Another role that I love and would love to play is in the Sound of Music - the Mother Abbess - she sings "Climb Every Mountain" and I love that!

If there was ever a movie made of your life, who should star as you?

I'm guessing my life hasn't been interesting enough to make a movie, but I really would like to see Queen Latifah as me. No, I'm not African-American, but I have so much respect for her. She has not bent to the pressure in Hollywood to be stick-thin. She is a big girl, gorgeous, and confident. I love that!!

11 Opinions:

dino martin peters said...

Hey pallie Tammy, "lots of Dean Martin!" eh.............so glad to find 'nother Dinolover in the crowd. Never was, never will be anyone as cool as the King of Cool. Oh, to return to the days when Dino walked the earth!!!!!

nyjlm said...

that was fun to read (and fun doing!). My husband and I enjoyed Life is Beautiful very much also- I'd like to see it again. Thanks for the reminder : )

Deb R said...

I'm a movie nut, Tammy, so this GTKY meme is right up my alley. My biggest problem will be narrowing down my choices for answers instead of writing a book! :-) (I'll post mine either Friday or Saturday.)

I loved reading your answers. We share many of the same favorites, although there are a handful of movies you mentioned that I haven't seen yet.

I'm also a fan of Queen Latifah. I think she's really beautiful. Every time I see her in something I find myself saying "damn, look at how gorgeous her skin is!"

Ki said...

Amen to Queen Latifah!

Princess Jami said...

All-time favorite? Probably Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Genre of movie? Favorite: Fantasy, Period films (like Pride & Prejudice) Least Favorite: Gory/overly crude, slapstick (like you, Tammy. 3 Stooges humor? Forget it!)

Movie made me cry? That darn Notebook. I was warned that it was a crying movie (thanks, Leticia) but I still bawled.

Applauded during a movie? Lord of the Rings, when Boromir dies defending the hobbits, after his momentary lapse into greed. I applauded after every one of those movies.

Own soundtracks? Why, yes, I do. Several. I like that I can get a variety of great songs from different genres without buying each artist's album individually.
Top Five:
1. Elizabethtown
2. Elizabethtown II
3. Lord of the Rings, Return of the King
4. Our Little Corner of the World (Gilmore Girls)
5. Spider-Man 2
Ooh...maybe I will need the Dreamgirls soundtrack. :-)

Inspirational actor or actress? Well, I've been looking more and more at Christian actors in Hollywood and how they can stand out. Patricia Heaton is involved in excellent movies and other projects. She's a good example...family mom, still married to the same guy, promoting Bible movies...that's great!

Actor or actress I dislike and why? Well, I've decided that I don't really like Will Ferell's movies. He's a one-note actor, who plays that one note over and over in each film. I don't find them all that funny.

Acting dream? I don't think I've ever dreamt of being an actor. I'd like to get on film as a dancer.

Who should star as me? Welll...I like Reese Witherspoon or Drew Barrymore to play my character.

Tammy Brierly said...

I love the old musicals and balled my eyes out in "Life is Beautiful." Great 1st week!

Janet said...

Great meme! Queen Latifah is one of my favs, too. She just oozes sex appeal and confidence.

Anonymous said...

I adore Bing and Jimmy Stewart. And we have the same movie that makes us cry.

Queen Latifah is terrific. Another class act!

Wonderful questions!!

hollibobolli said...

I want to see Dreamgirls.

See - I loved young Eddie Murphy standup comedy. I totally can't believe I listened to it when it was released. Do you know how YOUNG I was? Good GAWD!!

BUT - how can a mommy not love Donkey?

Michael Douglas makes me want to gag phlegm.

I want to come see you if you're in the Sound of Music!

PennyBlue said...

Hmmm...interesting. lol Have a wonderful Easter T!!

Fran S said...

The Princess Bride - a modern classic! :) Thanks for sharing! xoox, Fran