5.02.2007

Getting to Know You Wednesday

Posted by Tammy

Well, it is Wednesday, and that is Getting to Know You day at Create a Connection. I had so much fun hosting this day in April. But, now it is PainterGirl's turn to host! I'm looking forward to fun questions from her!

Here is what she asked of us today:

I want to know what book, movie and song not only changed your life, but also changed the way you thought about the medium. It could have been when you were a child or a teenager or just last week. Anytime in your life.

Well - I LOVE books, music and movies, but choosing just one of each that changed my life is hard!

Book:
There are two titles that come directly to mind. Early on it was Little Women. I loved this book as a young kid. I read it many times. I wanted to be Jo. I am not a writer, but I dreamed of being one! She was so passionate and creative.

Only a few years ago, I read a book called The Mists of Avalon. I had been recommended this title many times before, but for some reason, back in about 2001 or so, I read it. My friend (and boss) Laurel recognized a kindred spirit in me, and told me I should read this book. It truly changed the way I see the world. Thanks Laurel!

Each of these books is very much from a feminine perspective. Strong female characters and themes - I love it! No other books can compare to how I feel about these two. Every little girl should read Little Women! And every girl/woman who is searching should read Mists of Avalon!

Movie:
This one is actually harder to narrow down. My favorite movie is Singin' in the Rain, but I can't say it changed my life or how I think about movies. Gene Kelly is phenomenal, and a genius choreographer!

I think the movie that really comes to mind is Life is Beautiful. I was absolutely blown away by this movie. Yes, it was silly in many places - the humor of Roberto Benigni is just wonderful, but it is so much more than humor. The over-arching story was absolutely heart-breaking. I literally cried all the way home from the theatre. I saw this movie by myself, and I love the experience of that. "Bonjourno Principessa!"

When there is a movie that I really want to see, I love to go alone - I get to experience it all on my own with no one else's opinions or input. I learned with this movie, that you can make a funny, horribly sad movie all at once. You can enjoy something that is so heart-wrenching, you think about it for days.

Another movie that affected me very deeply is The Piano. I truthfully don't remember the story line, but I was so deeply moved by this movie, that I have only seen it one time. I don't want to ruin the experience of it by seeing it again. It was another movie that was heart-breakingly beautiful to me.

Music:
I can think of so much music that has had an effect on me. I'll try to narrow it down!

OK - first (don't laugh) - Take a Chance on Me or Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! by ABBA. Yep, ABBA! My friend from high school, Travis, was a friend from kindergarten through near the time of his death in 1996. He had cystic fibrosis and died just after turning 21. Travis was a GREAT friend and I lived with him for a short time. He was also gay and ABBA was his favorite! We watched Priscilla, Queen of the Desert so many times (another movie I could have written about above!) - and ABBA features prominently in that movie. We heard these songs over and over... I always think of (and miss) Travis when I hear them!

More recently, I have several songs that come to mind. The Dixie Chicks song, Not Ready to Make Nice impresses me so much. I'm a big fan of the Chicks, and I applaud them SO much for standing up for themselves in the whole big issue about their statements about the prez'nit. I love the song, the words, so powerful!

This is a movie too - but music more than movie impressed me I guess. Dreamgirls - what a phenomenal movie and soundtrack. Jennifer Hudson was one of my favorites when she was on American Idol. I was SO excited to see her taking on this role, and WOW - did she ever take it on! The song, "and I am telling you" is SO powerful, and she just blew it out of the water. The performance was most definitely Oscar worthy! (I added this as my music - you can watch the video too if you scroll to the very bottom of my blog!)

Wow - this was fun, and I got a bit long-winded! Thanks PainterGirl - can't wait to hear what you ask next week!

4 Opinions:

Suzie Ridler said...

Wow, so many of our inspirations cross paths! Mists of Avalon changed everything about me too. I adore The Dixie Chicks and really want that album very much and they're finally getting recognition for their fierce spirit and coming back. I'm so glad. They were such victims of the lack of democracy in the southern U.S.

photoholly said...

Great answers Tammy. I haven't read Mis of Avalon and I don't remember if I've read Little Women! How silly is that? I guess I really should.

Patty said...

I have yet to finish the Mist Of Avalon (long book, poor excuse), but I love the movie and have seen it many times. At the moment I am reading Lady of Avalon which time wise comes before The Mist. I have found it easier reading and recoment it if you havent read it yet.

BellaKarma said...

Wow Tammy! I was going to take part this week in Getting To Know You... but I've been a little out-of-it (which I'll explain in my blog later). As I read your answers, I was nodding my head vigorously!

Just the other night, I went on-line searching for Mists of Avalon on Book-CD. Marissa has it in paperback...but I've taken to "listening" to books lately.

Life is Beautiful and The Piano are definitely two movies that crossed my mind when I read the questionnaire, however, I was gonna go with Shindler's List. Same subject matter though.

ABBA means so much to me too! Not quite sure why...maybe being a child of the '70s. Don't laugh, but I was going to answer Wilson Phillips, "Hold On." Boy, did that song give me strength.

This was a great post Tammy! I really enjoyed "getting to know you." :)