Wow - it's been a few days since I posted. I'm having a less grumpy week than I was last week!


This month's Self Portrait Challenge is:

The challenge for May - is street photography - with YOU in it. Capture yourself somehow, somewhere on the street. With or without others around or others in the photo frame. You could ask someone else to press the shutter for you or carry around your tripod - whatever you do it has to have a ’street photography’ vibe to it.

Well, this is going to be a challenge for me for sure. I have some ideas, and Mike is going to help me over the weekend, but for this week, I am using one of my favorite photos from a few years ago. My friend took a whole bunch of photos of me - they are all quite good. This was the last one she took. I am walking up the driveway of the house I used to live in. It was taken in Black and White - I just love the starkness of the photo. My black clothing, and the "old" feel of the photo. It makes me miss living out in the country! I love our house now, but I lived in my tiny house there for exactly 10 years! I do miss it!


In other news... I had the chance to talk with one of my favorite bloggers, Mary Ann, on the phone last night. What a treat!! This is the first time I've talked with anyone I've met via blogging! She and her husband are considering a trip "out west" this summer, and that would put them quite near me in Colorado! We're hoping, if they make the trip, that we'll get to meet in person!! That would be FUN! I hope they get to make their trip!!

And, we have a new "toy" at our house. Mike splurged at his favorite website, www.thinkgeek.com, and bought this: Laser Star Projector... Wow - is it just SOOO cool!

The cats went nuts the first time he turned it on. Luna loves a laser pointer - this is thousands of them all moving around the room. She wasn't sure where to look! They have decided it's boring now, but Mike and I LOVE it! I tried to get some pictures - they are kind of fun, but I need to do some "studying" on taking night shots with my digital!

6 Opinions:

Jeremy Stockwell said...

Cool picture. Reminds me of a scene from Forrest Gump.

For the 'star' photos -- use a tripod or set the camera so that it will be still during a relatively long exposure. Start at 1/2 second and go up or down from there depending on your results. Also, you might consider using a self-timer (or a remote, if you have it) so that pressing the shutter release doesn't jostle the camera and mess up the shot.

Tammy said...

Thanks! I'm gonna have to watch Forrest again!

Thanks for the tips! I have a tripod, but the remote is a great idea! I'm gonna have fun playing with this! :)

Deb R said...

I really like the way that first shot is framed. It's very stark and somehow formal.

Jamie said...

I love that photo of you. It feels so self-assured and natural.

And wow that star laser toy is totally cool! That would be awesome for a party! Speaking of which, thanks so much for participating in this year's dance party. I'm glad you had fun dancing with the stars!

Suzie Ridler said...

Now that's my kind of street! You look so strong and grounded in this environment.

Sounds like our husbands would get along! My husband is the one behind the not yet dot net blog, just between you and meet (shhh). He's love that laser toy!

Molly said...

I like your interpretation of "street!" Reminds me of my long drive to and from work... I've always been curious, wanted to explore the farmland surrounding me as I whizzed from suburb to small town.