12.13.2007

Really Cool Idea

Posted by Tammy

I work for a great company!! We had our holiday party last Friday night. It was such a fun evening. It was at a local French restaurant - very posh! I got all dressed up for the fun of it! :) We always get lovely presents and a bonus, but this year, our bosses decided to do something a bit different too.

They gave each of us $100 in "virtual money" to spend on the Heifer Project. They are donating money and allowing each of us to choose how to spend the money through this amazing project!!

The deal is the donated money buys an animal or flock of animals for a family which provides not only food, but a way to make money as well. For instance, I am choosing as my animal a dairy goat. (I love goaties! I lived at my little house in the country for 10 years - my landlord's kids raised pygmy goats for 4-H.) The website explains how this gift helps:

"Goats can thrive in extreme climates and on poor, dry land by eating grass and leaves. The gift of a dairy goat can supply a family with up to several quarts of nutritious milk a day - a ton of milk a year. Extra milk can be sold or used to make cheese, butter or yogurt. Families learn to use goat manure to fertilize gardens.

And because goats often have two or three kids a year, Heifer partners can lift themselves out of poverty by starting small dairies that earn money for food, health care and education."

My co-workers have chosen to give a llama, honeybees, chicks, and shares of pigs and water buffalo. I have gone one step further and I donated a flock of chicks for a friend for Christmas! (In addition to other presents of course!) If you are looking for a way to help others or to give a donation - I think this is a really cool idea!! I love that my bosses at World by the Tail did this for us, and I hope my friend likes that I did it for her and her family too!

3 Opinions:

Janet said...

What a wonderful gift! Your company must be a great place to work!!

I did a "gift" on my blog recently from The Hunger Site. I love doing this kind of giving.

Nicole said...

That's wonderful! I was just looking at that website a few days ago.

Tammy Brierly said...

That is such a FANTASTIC way to give to your employee's. That picture speaks volumnes.


No pics of you at the party? TAMMY!

XXOO