1.28.2008

My 2008 Treasure Map

Posted by Tammy

Last Sunday, I attended a one afternoon art group with my art therapist. It was a session to make a Treasure Map of your intentions for 2008. I'm so glad I went. It has been a long time since I did an art group, and even a one day session was so good for me!

We met at 3 p.m. and introduced ourselves. Turns out all of the other participants were mental health professionals - colleagues of my art therapist. I was the only non-mental health pro! But, it wasn't a bad thing. They were all there to do the same project!

We took quite a bit of time to search through magazines finding the images that inspired us. We weren't supposed to use too many words, but I found a few that really fit, so I did use them.

Many of my images turned out to be the ocean, the shoreline, etc. I know that my intention for this year is to get Mike and I moved somewhere near the coast! Either one - I'm aiming for either Oregon, or North Carolina. We love both areas!

My treasure map feels very peaceful to me. I wanted that feeling for sure. The background is made up of a "breathing space" spread from an Oprah magazine, always my favorite pages! It is magnolia blossoms on a black background. I cut it to fit my circle and then pasted my other images on top.

I don't normally choose butterflies, but these bright colored ones spoke to me. One of the other participants said that butterflies can represent a new change/new life. That is good and it fits with my intentions! The zen garden and the woman with the cat also represent peace to me. Our cats are in dis-harmony still, and I hope for peace there too.

The words "the spice of life" is to remind me to live my life to the fullest and take opportunities. Fearless is a biggie for me. I am excited about the possibility of moving, but it also scares me. I want to take it on, and not let my fears keep me from doing anything!

It was such a positive experience (as always with my art therapist!) I'm glad I have this image now to remind me of my intentions for this year!


10 Opinions:

Misty said...

this is the coolest thing!!!! i love it and may steal it!

nap girl said...

sounds like fun~thank you for sharing the process with us :)
ox kelley

Misty said...

My daughter has the past of sexual abuse (as do I) and so i try to do a lot of sensory projects with her... Would you mind telling me how you did this? you could email it, or comment back...

Jamie said...

Oh, how beautiful! I love the roundness of it, the meditativeness. It feels like you're looking into a pool of dreams. May they all come true for you!

Lila Rostenberg said...

How helpful to have some of your dreams and intentions illustrated visually! I love doing collages!

Jana B said...

That is SUCH an amaxing idea!!!! if you e-mail misty the details, can you forward them on to me, too, mayhaps?

I love all the peace in your map... that is a good thing to aim for through your year, and something that I rarely think of cultivating... but a very good thing to cultivate! lol

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

I follow the link from Suzie, I wanted to see your board, by the way it is me Carmen and this is my new blog, how are you?

Suzie Ridler said...

Tammy! I LOVE it! I love that the ocean is there and do hope one day that happens. It's fascinating that there is so much spice and energy here and yet it is also peaceful. You are so fabulous Tammy!

Anonymous said...

Oh I love this idea so I will have to get to work. Thanks for sharing!

laoi gaul~williams said...

hi, i arrived here via sacred suzie and i love it so much~such inspiration!