9.05.2008

Political rant

Posted by Tammy

I don't very often get political here on my blog. In fact, I have stayed away from posting much about my views and beliefs intentionally. I don't want to stir up bad feelings or whatever. But now, I am good and stirred up myself. I want to rant, and as this is my blog, I will post it here. If you are offended, or shocked, I'm sorry. You can add your comment and let me know. Or you can post your opinion on your own forum as well. This is MY opinion only. I am not forcing you to change the way you think. But, I do ask - read what I think with an open mind. That's all.

I am absolutely incensed about the way things have gone this week - the choice of Sarah Palin for VP of the Republican ticket. I think McCain may have hoped that by choosing a woman, he would sway voters who supported Hillary Clinton. But Hillary and Sarah only share one thing in common - their gender.

I am a registered Democrat - always have been. (sorry family!) I have been an Obama supporter from day one. However, I have been trying to be open and listen to the other candidates and know what they are presenting. We watched all of the speeches during last week's Democratic convention, and we have also watched this week's Republican convention. (Although - our electricity went out right as Giulianni was speaking on Wednesday night and we had to listen to Sarah Palin's speech online the next day!)

The difference in the speakers was stark. I found myself cringing this week. It seems that every single person who spoke THIS week at the RNC had something very negative to say. There were slams and lies. I know I am biased simply because my beliefs run to the Democratic - I tried to keep an open mind though. It seemed that the Democrat speakers were not doing the negative - if they had something negative to say it was about the policies NOT the person. There was a lot of slamming the person from the Republicans and belittling accomplishments, etc. Not OK.

What has made me the most upset though is the lies. Honestly, they are easy to disprove, so I'm not sure why the RNC speakers thought it was OK to put them in the speeches and try to sway audiences with lies.

An AP article lays out some of the mistruths that were in Palin's speech alone. Here are a couple - read the article to see them all.

PALIN: "I have protected the taxpayers by vetoing wasteful spending ... and championed reform to end the abuses of earmark spending by Congress. I told the Congress 'thanks but no thanks' for that Bridge to Nowhere."

THE FACTS: As mayor of Wasilla, Palin hired a lobbyist and traveled to Washington annually to support earmarks for the town totaling $27 million. In her two years as governor, Alaska has requested nearly $750 million in special federal spending, by far the largest per-capita request in the nation. While Palin notes she rejected plans to build a $398 million bridge from Ketchikan to an island with 50 residents and an airport, that opposition came only after the plan was ridiculed nationally as a "bridge to nowhere."

PALIN: "There is much to like and admire about our opponent. But listening to him speak, it's easy to forget that this is a man who has authored two memoirs but not a single major law or reform _ not even in the state senate."

THE FACTS: Compared to McCain and his two decades in the Senate, Obama does have a more meager record. But he has worked with Republicans to pass legislation that expanded efforts to intercept illegal shipments of weapons of mass destruction and to help destroy conventional weapons stockpiles. The legislation became law last year. To demean that accomplishment would be to also demean the work of Republican Sen. Richard Lugar of Indiana, a respected foreign policy voice in the Senate. In Illinois, he was the leader on two big, contentious measures in Illinois: studying racial profiling by police and requiring recordings of interrogations in potential death penalty cases. He also successfully co-sponsored major ethics reform legislation.

Mike Huckabee also grossly exaggerated the truth:


FORMER ARKANSAS GOV. MIKE HUCKABEE: Palin "got more votes running for mayor of Wasilla, Alaska than Joe Biden got running for president of the United States."

THE FACTS: A whopper. Palin got 616 votes in the 1996 mayor's election, and got 909 in her 1999 re-election race, for a total of 1,525. Biden dropped out of the race after the Iowa caucuses, but he still got 76,165 votes in 23 states and the District of Columbia where he was on the ballot during the 2008 presidential primaries.


OK... being nasty about your opponent is one thing. I don't like it, but it is politics and it does happen. But out and out lying is a whole other story! I am afraid what McCain/Palin are hoping is for the voters/American public to take what they are saying at face value and do no homework.

PLEASE - don't just take what these candidates are saying and run with it. I urge you to do some homework. Make sure they are telling you the truth (and this goes for the Obama/Biden camp too!) Research what they say and make sure it fits with your beliefs before making your choice. And make sure what they are saying is the truth.

There are a number of articles/sites that have inspired/made me hopping mad/scared me this week. Yes, they are anti-McCain/Palin. Yes, they are MY beliefs!
So, if you don't agree, don't click through. But if you want to read and see what's got me going, take a look! I have never been so involved, inspired, hopeful for change than I am this election year. I truly think Obama/Biden are a great ticket, and I hope that Obama is our next president. I am getting involved, and I am letting my opinions be known!

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/taxes.asp (Snopes.com is a very fact-based, non-partisan site that debunks myths. Any emails that come around to you that are forwarded - check them out on Snopes first before passing them on to others!)

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-steinem4-2008sep04,0,7541303.story

http://www.sarahpalinisnthillaryclinton.com/

http://jezebel.com/5045887/the-daily-show-palin-is-able-to-make-the-choice-she-doesnt-really-want-other-people-to-have

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/02/palins-church-may-have-sh_n_123205.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/04/jon-stewart-hits-karl-rov_n_123852.html

http://jezebel.com/5043669/sarah-palin-when-choosing-a-woman-might-not-be-choosing-for-women

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2008/06/09/ST2008060900950.html

http://my.barackobama.com/page/content/fightthesmearshome


17 Opinions:

Janet said...

It's your blog and your rant and I fully agree with you!! We must get some new direction in this country and stop this downward spiral. I applaud you!!!

Suzie Ridler said...

I am very happy to read your political rant Tammy! I am one for speaking the truth, YOUR truth, and politics is so rampant with lies and deceit. I hope you have been watching Jon Stewart this week, he has been relentless in his showing the hypocrisy that's going on right now with the Republicans. In particular, hearing Palin talk in such an elitist and snobby voice against "community service" made me sick to my stomach. What a horrible human being. She just displayed everything I hate about that party...and I am CANADIAN! Go Obama!

Kate said...

I totally agree! I am loving the Democrat's return to grassroots campaigning. I live in Colorado Springs which is sort of like living on the floor of the Republican National Convention every day (well, that or "Jesus Camp") and I just can't wrap my mind around the hatred of the evangelical crowd, or that they condone lying when it serves their purpose. Now, the big question is what are we going to do about it

Tammy said...

Thanks for your comments Janet, Suzie, and Kate. I'm glad I went ahead with my rant! I feel better having said it "out loud" (so to speak). I fully agree Janet - we have to go somewhere different this election, and I sure hope we do! We may be moving to Canada Suzie! :)

We don't get cable, but we tend to watch a lot of things online like Jon Stewart, Keith Olbermann, and others. We saw some of the Daily Show and I'm glad we did! I was literally yelling at the TV screen when watching Palin and how horribly nasty they were about Obama. Cutting down what he has done and making snide remarks to the cheers of the convention hall. Sickening.

Kate - we live just north of you a couple hours. Living in Colorado Springs would be tough for me! I know you're surrounded! (Jesus Camp - that's a great way to put it - although SCARY!) It's amazing the hypocrisy isn't it? Shocking really. What are we going to do about it - that is indeed the question! I'm thinking on it to see what I can honestly do to help get Obama elected now! I've never volunteered in politics before, but I'm thinking about doing so. And showing my support any way I can too!!

Like I said in my post - being educated is the BEST thing anyone can do. Find out about the lies ... make sure what you are being told is true and actually matches what you think. DO NOT be complacent. Another blogger told me a quote - Silence is Acquiesence. Don't be silent!

Anonymous said...

YES! Be educated Tammy and friends, Try watching someone other than the Liberal Democrates that you seem to so highly honor...most of them are comedians, If you want a fair non bias report...watch Bill Oriely, Or some of the REAL reporters on Fox news! They are fair and balanced and not just stand up comedians. Yes this IS your blog and I support your right to your opinion, but you did welcome comments. You know I love you, you know we disagree, but I will not stand by and not speak to the slams against Jesus believers. just because so idiots so called Christians hate...do not put me in a box, Kate. Not all who believe in JC are haters! I am a Believer, and I try to LOVE ALL like Jesus did, I won't sit around and TRASH Palin, calling her a horrible human being. I disagree totally with Obama and his Non answer on when a human is a human, his answer made me sick to my stomach, but I don't like his lie, or answers either...but I don't judge HIM! If he is unqualified and it is "above his payscale" to answer a simple question on when does life begin....then we need someone who is clear on where they stand, not just ...duh...I don't know, duh, I don't get paid enough to have my own opinion!!! DUH! Sorry we disagree and I am tired of LYING Dmocrats, too!
Just my opinion, but glad I got it off my chest! Still love you Tammy, hope I didn't piss you or your friends off! And thanks for inviting all to speak up...I hope you meant it! Go Big Mc and Palin!!

Anonymous said...

yeah vicki - thanks for sharing the truth! tammy, you really must educate yourself on the full picture or you risk sounding as ignorant as those you are supporting. the oreilly factor and hannity & colmes are great starting points on the fox news - fair and balanced. i love it. i always want to know both sides regardless.

one example i can point out where you have been mislead is regarding what huckabee said regarding the number of winning votes by palin and those by biden. first of all, he was speaking metaphorically. if you look at the total number of voters compared to the number of votes eached received, you would know that, statistically speaking, she far and away received "more votes". that is what he meant, and confirmed such when asked about it. this is but one example of what you could learn if you diversified your information sources.

your post was titled political "rant"...this is what the angry liberals do time and time again. just look at the less than peaceful demonstrations that took place outside (and in) the RNC. Republicans do not do this! we state the facts and hold our ground without the outward and public displays of embarrassing rants.

put yourself in the best possible position to make a decision. educate yourself before you go off the deep end and hurt yourself in the process.

good luck!

Tammy said...

I did invite all comments. Yes, I will leave ALL even the ones that disagree with me.

I AM educated. I HAVE made my decision. Believe your way, that is fine. I will continue to believe what I believe. I have done my research. All I ask is that you do the same.

Just because Fox news says they are fair and balanced... check their facts too. I have been checking mine and will continue to.

Vicki (as my sister) you know that we disagree. That isn't going to change obviously. I knew in writing this publicly, that my family wouldn't like what I have to say. Oh well. I am strong in what I believe too. Just like you are. Jane, I don't know you (no link)... but we obviously have differing points of view as well.

I have not gone off half-cracked here. My "RANT" is just that - it is MINE... I do NOT represent all democrats, just as I hope you Vicki and Jane don't say to represent all republicans. We are each entitled to our own opinions and we are each entitled to speak them! And to respectfully disagree. Respect being the key word. I disagree with you both, just as you obviously disagree with me.

And one other point. Yes, a couple of the links I posted WERE to comedians. Jon Stewart and the Daily Show have clips bashing democrats just as much as they have clips bashing republicans! They are equal opportunity comedians. There are equal things to poke fun at on both sides!

Jane - I don't like being called an Angry Liberal either. I am a liberal, yes. Proudly. I am angry about the way things have gone in recent years. I am hopefully channeling that anger into helping to bring about the change I want to see. I hope you can do the same. I think all of us should be angry about the state of things! Not just the "liberals" or the "conservatives"...

Anonymous said...

again tammy, you miss the point...as most liberals do. i spoke about facts. neither of which you addressed in your most recent reply. the evidence is there for the taking.

when you choose to "rant" as you call it and speak your views, especially in a public forum such as your blog, you open yourself up to be challenged. in a sense, it is an invitation to play with the big boys and girls who are educated and know both sides.

liberals are, traditionally, angry. especially when it comes to their political views. much of this comes from not knowing the facts and becoming frustrated (and ranting) when things upset them.

again, i encourage your participation in fair and balanced news such as what you can find on fox. there are oodles of democrats and liberal minded folks that have platform there. everyone has opportunity to speak their truth and facts, my dear, are checked. it is evidenced by your original post that you did not check your...sorry, just speaking the truth here.

keep calm and carry on!

Anonymous said...

also tammy, i welcome addressing any issue you may have question about. what, specifically, are you saying the mccain/palin team are lying about? let's both learn, ok?

Anonymous said...

Repub. Jane, If you really believe what you are saying and agreeing with me...then be brave enough to say who you really are!
Tammy I am sooo proud of you for using YOUR blog for the American Right to free speech! I know you and I disagree. But there is no hate involved! My opinion was just that...my opinion. It does not mean I think less of anyone who disagrees with me. All I know is Jesus loves Obama too, so I must!!! Dosn't mean I have to like him, agree with him, or even vote for him! I don't know what the Jesus camp is, but if it's bad...I am sorry they are misrepresenting God and Jesus. Yes there are so called Christians who are idiots too!!! They piss off Heaven as well as me.
But I still close with...Go Big Mc and Palin!!! Love you T.
Vic

Anonymous said...

hi vicki - sorry, i don't have a blog or i would surely post my url. i love to read them though, especially political discussions. jane is my name and i am a republican, hence my handle "republican jane". maybe i will start a blog, a political one at that! there is so much to discuss this election - our country is in need of strong leadership and that's what we will find in mccain/palin. i am excited about it and learning all i can about the issues on both sides so that i can make informed and intelligent decisions. will provide you all with a link if i ever set up a blog :)
r.jane

Anonymous said...

OOps, Sorry Jane...I thot you were one of our family members, who were hiding behind an alias...my bad!! And ...sorry family for assuming such a thing!!!

Lila Rostenberg said...

Tammy, I am with you!
It is amazing how given the same information, folks can draw differing conclusions...that's what makes life and politics interesting.
No matter who wins the elections...there will always be good and bad outcomes and fingers will be pointed. If only we were a more introspective and peaceful people!

Anonymous said...

Tammy, thank you for your willingness to post your views on your blog during this important election! I find it fascinating that the so-called "angry liberals" are the ones talking about how, without unity, without a realization that we are all connected, without an understanding that we must be our brothers' (and sisters') keepers, without a healing of our divisive wounds (political, racial, gender based, religious, or otherwise), our country is in big trouble. The "angry left" is saying that we must rise above our divisions and work together if we are to move our country into the 21st century in a way that makes us a global force for good. I recently re-watched the speech given by Bill Clinton at the DNC -- arguably the most invective-filled speech of the convention -- and while he attacked conservative ideas and strategies, he only had praise for Sen. McCain. No ad hominem attacks (where the person making the argument, rather than the merit of the argument itself, is attacked), no nasty mud slinging, just an insightful analysis of the shortcomings of the current administration (and at least 90% of Sen. McCain's views, as evidenced by his voting record). I cannot express how pleased I was to see the democrats taking the high road, for the first time in my memory.

The contrast with the RNC was both disappointing and telling. There was very little discussion of the important issues facing our nation. Mostly, the republican speakers chose to focus on attacking Sen. Obama rather than discussing his stance on the issues. The divisiveness, the holier-than-thou condescension, the sneering at Sen. Obama's great work in Illinois (outside and in public office) and in the U.S. Senate, the belittling of grassroots movements in general, all disappointed me greatly, and served as a powerful counterpoint to Sen. Obama's plea for healing of our divisions. And this doesn't take into account the easily debunked lies being openly spread by the republicans at their convention.

Jane, if you need more information about the lies being pushed at the RNC, you obviously didn't read Tammy's initial post very carefully. Take a look at her examples, follow her links, and do a little research of your own. As the great modern day thinker Noam Chomsky says, "I don't want you to believe what I believe; I want you to do your own research and arrive at your own beliefs based on facts, without simply accepting others." I find it fascinating that the folks asking Tammy to educate herself have obviously not done any research of their own, or are themselves guilty of using only one or two sources for their information.

Some excellent resources include CNN's issue comparison website, http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/issues/issues.taxes.html ,
and the nonpartisan myth debunkers at snopes.com .

Lastly, I am disappointed but not surprised by the tone Jane took here. You do not further your cause by alienating people with hateful and condescending language; you merely drive us further to the left.

Thank you Tammy for your willingness to state that you are a Proud Liberal! Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Tammy - you go girl. I'm interested to read the anti-Obama crowd here since I haven't gotten any (and my family is right here with me on this one)...and I haven't invited any. I'm truly tired of the rhetoric and generalities (It's hardly ever you and I but "liberals" as if all of us are the same when there is such a spectrum) and I was wondering if there were any comments that weren't rhetoric. But no. So - You Go Girl! Silence is acquiesence.

Anonymous said...

philosopher mike - your command of the english language is impressive, however, all feelings aside (and we must take a side) the american people are speaking and what they are saying, based upon today's polls, is that they agree with the direction that john mccain wants to take us. the polls i am referring to are: gallop, cnn, usa today, rasussen etc...

and by the way, please maintain the constant barrage on gov. plain as this is merely serving as fuel for the widening gap in approval... you all know how to do it up right!!

that said, i am off to continue my research...

Richard said...

Tammy thanks for posting your political views. They do NOT agree with MY views.

But that is what makes America the greatest nation on earth. We can agree to disagree.

I believe that the politcal system setup by the founders of this nation was done so be inspiration from God.

If we had ALL republicans or ALL democrats or ALL [insert political party here] this nation would be in trouble.

Just remember your thoughts are just as valid as anyone else's thoughts.

Do not appologize for your thoughts and beliefs. They are what makes you YOU.

This does not mean that your thoughts, or mine of that matter, can't be changed if, at some point, you determine that your thoughts are no longer in line with what you believe then by all means change them.

I am NOT impying that you need to change your thoughts, or that if you do they should be changed towards the was I think.

I just mean, without any personal or political motives, that we all must be willing to look at what we believe and reevaluate them which often results in reaffiring that they are right where they should be.

Sometimes we all need to change some of our thoughts as that is how we grow.

Once again, thanks for your thoughts and allowing others, in this case me to also voice our opinions.