12.30.2008

Mamma Mia Memory Lane

Posted by Tammy

One of the things that Mike got me for Christmas, along with many other wonderful things (which I'll post photos of soon!), is a copy of the movie Mamma Mia! I saw this in the theatre a while back, and of course - being a huge ABBA fan, I loved it. Had to own it!

Like ABBA's music, it makes me happy - it is a totally campy, cheeseball movie, but I loved every minute of it.

The thing that surprised me was how sentimental I got during the movie. And in rewatching it on DVD, I'm really realizing how much I miss my friend Travis. He instilled my love of all things ABBA in me. We listened to them all the way to Canada and back on our road trip back in 1995. We watched Priscilla, Queen of the Desert countless times! I can't tell you how many times I would get home while we were roommates to hear Gimme, Gimme, Gimme cranked up on the stereo!

I find myself getting a little teary while watching this movie. I miss Travis very much. We were friends from childhood. He died in January of 1996 - almost 12 years ago. He was just barely 21. He had cystic fibrosis. One of my only regrets in life is that we had a falling out a few months before he died. We talked only once more after our "fight" and never really got the chance to make up. It has taken me a very long time to work through that.

This movie would be so much better with Travis laughing and singing along with me. He is there in spirit I'm sure! If Travis were still here, he would approve of Mike and be friends with him too, I'm sure of that! :)



3 Opinions:

Suzie Ridler said...

Oh Tammy, that is so hard, I'm sorry to hear about this regret. I am glad that you can see the happy memories and honour your friendship with him through your experience of Mama Mia. Did you know it's the highest grossing movie of all time now? It beat out Titanic!

Anonymous said...

Noooooo!!!! Not Titanic! Oh well...

"We'll both have the lamb. Rare, with very little mint sauce. You like lamb, right sweet pea?"

Lila Rostenberg said...

I love that movie....and that it reminds you of your friend is appropriate!
Happy New Year!