1.24.2009

Eggplant Extraordinaire

Posted by Tammy

I normally don't like Rachel Ray. She annoys me for some reason... however, she does have good recipes on her show now and then. On this particular day, she was featuring eggplant, so I kept it on to hear the recipe! Boy, am I glad I did. This recipe was YUMMY! It was supposed to be a 30-minute meal, but it definitely took me longer than that. It was still a pretty easy meal overall though - and really tasty! And it was pretty healthy too! :) (The recipe features a side of orzo too - I only made the eggplant though.)


First you slice up two smallish eggplants into about 8 slices (length-wise). This is a bit tricky in my opinion! Brush each slice with olive oil and grill both sides for about 4 minutes each. (Grill pan - I don't have an actual grill!) While the eggplant is grilling - sauté some garlic, diced roasted red pepper (from a jar), and thawed frozen spinach. (you're also supposed to put in diced olives - I forgot them!)

Once your eggplant is done and your veggies are sauteed, lay out the slices of eggplant on a baking sheet - put a few spoonfuls of the veggie mixture on each slice of eggplant. I put a few crumbles of feta on each slice at this point too (though the recipe didn't call for it!)

Then spread a couple big spoonfuls of hummus on each slice and top with breadcrumbs! Bake the whole tray for about 10 minutes at 400 degrees. Enjoy - it's really good! :)

5 Opinions:

Janet said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe. It sounds like something I'd like. I might try it tonight and if I do I'll let you know.

Lila Rostenberg said...

That looks yummy!

You did a good job of taking photos as you cooked!

I'm sending a link to my daughter!

Suzie Ridler said...

They look wonderful! Perhaps this will inspire me to like eggplant? So far I haven't been woo-ed over to this vegetable but maybe I'll give it a shot, yours look so good. Way to go Tammy!

I like the old RR, her older shows are much easier to watch. I usually tape the last 15 minutes of her show now because I only care about the cooking and not the stupid game shows and information on makeup. Blech! Her food sometimes really rocks.

Suzie Ridler said...

Thanks for commenting on my hair! Funny how something like that can really change your life for the better. Your hair always looks so vibrant to me and healthy but there is something about darker hair, isn't there?

Oh I've been so slack in my CC homework this week, I can barely sit up thanks to these new meds. I have some ideas churning though. I hope your week is going well Tammy.

Unknown said...

Hi! Yummy recipe...
What a nice blog indeed.
I love the new layout, the use of tags is great . NICE!I will for sure come back to visit your blog :)
--
Venus
Professional Monitering security systems for Homes, Offices & Appartments